Mar 12, 2007

who hires the hirers?

That's a good question. Because if you think about it, a human resources professional knows everything he or she needs in order to get a job. They have the knowledge, so there must be a very low rate of unemployment for the human resources professionals (from now on HRPs).

I've been in lots of job interviews and it's always the same. I don't get it. But curiously, I always pass the first interview, which is generally made by a HRP, but I never pass the next interviews. I thought it could be because of my long hair, 'cause people here in Peru use to have a very stupid philosophy, then I cut it. Same results.

The fact is that just a few times I have felt that I was being evaluated. Really evaluated. But most of the times, I feel like all is just a subjective decision. And I didn't feel the HRPs who evaluated me were really capable. There are just a few exceptions (so few that I remember the names of those HRPs),
but most of them doesn't seem to be very smart people.

Anyway, I've always made it with the HRPs but never with the managers or other people who usually interviews. So here is my theory: HRPs know, one way or another, how to evaluate people. So they get to know you the most of the times. But then, managers or any other professional who interviews you next, they have lots of prejudices and I bet they think that only they could do that job you are applying to, so they hire people like them. If you have something in common with them, you get it. If you don't, 'piña cuñao'.

I've been looking for a job for 8 months. Yes, 8 months. And I remember all the enterprises that said to me: 'no'. They are: Cosapi Soft, Philips, TIM, 3M, Nextel (Two times), Telmex, Telefónica, Ambev, Editorial Norma, Lab Dealers and another ones I never knew their names because they never told me. The answer is always the same: 'You don't match the profile we are looking for'. But they never tell you how is that mentioned profile, they never tell you the reasons why you just don't match that profile. They never give you feedback. Then, how to improve?

I also remember the name of the HRPs who I think they are smart and capable: Carolina Martínez (Philips), Erica Monteverde (Norma), Jimena Velarde (Nextel). You girls are great (this points me to another question: Why HRPs are almost always women?).

Now, the meat: Why am I writing this? It's not because of frustration, maybe disillusionment, but I am actually writing this just because I think there could be a remote possibility to find someone who could hire me. But, because this is my blog, I give the rules here:

1. No dress code.
2. Not gonna cut my hair (although it's already cut).
3. Enough salary to pay my bills and save something (S/. 1500 in Peru is Ok. In other countries, we could negociate it).
4. No more than 8 hours per day, no more that 5 days a week.

That's it. What am I offering?
Lots desires of working, creativity and humor.

All you need to know is:

Education:
Bachelor degree in Electronic Engineering.

Work experience (updated: 10/30/2007):
May - Today, 2007 PC World Magazine Perú
Columnist, writing technological reviews for the Laboratory section.

January – March, 2006 PC World Magazine Perú
Testing "PC World Peru Awards 2005" competing electronic devices.

January – March, 2005 PC World Magazine Perú
Testing "PC World Peru Awards 2004" competing electronic devices.

Languages (updated: 10/30/2007):
Spanish (mother tongue), English (fluent), French (intermediate level, still learning).

Computer Skills:
MS Office, Corel Draw, Macromedia Dreamweaver.

Computer Programming Skills (updated: 10/30/2007):
Borland C++ Builder, Java, Visual Basic, SQL, Assembler, Microchip MPLAB IDE, MatLab, HTML, CSS, Ladder.

Artistic Skills and Competences:
Guitar, music, literature, painting.

Sports:
Soccer, swimming, snowboarding.

That is all you need to know. Interested? Contact me at miguelchambergox@yahoo.com


P.S.: While I'm writing this, I'm watching an old great documentary called '1991: The year Punk broke'. I will write a review of this someday. I've also been watching 'Pulp Fiction' one more time. What a movie! You better watch them both.


1 comment:

Miguel Vera said...

nice try.. though you should also try emurse (http://www.emurse.com/). A service to upload your resume and to create one online too so you can add it to your website for downloading ;)